Craft the Leather is a project organized and financed by Consorzio Vera Pelle Italiana Conciata al Vegetale (Genuine Italian Vegetable-Tanned Leather Consortium). Ten students, from international fashion and design institutes of excellence, participated in Craft The Leather 2017:
- Heleen Sintobin – Central Saint Martins – UK
- Josh Herman – Fashion Institute of Technology – USA
- Xiao Yu Zhang – Bunka Fashion College – Japan
- Chantal Maes – SASK Sint Niklaas – Belgium
- Anna Friberg – Design School Kolding – Denmark
- Hernan Guardamagna – Royal College of Art – UK
- Takumi Yoshida – Hiko Mizuno College of Jewelry – Japan
- Daniel Pantaleo – Hochschule für Künste Bremen – Germany
- Pilar Peman Boville – IED Madrid – Spain
- Manan Narang – Rhode Island School of Design – USA
Each student designed and made an original collection in Tuscan veg-tanned leather, ranging from furniture to jewelry, apparel to footwear and accessories. All of high quality for content and manufacturing, they were displayed at Lineapelle in Milan from February 20th to 22nd, 2018. Lineapelle is one of the most important international leather fairs and this edition of the trade show was visited by over 20.000 professionals.
The stand of Craft the Leather at Hall 9 achieved resounding success and received gratifying feedback by designers, manufacturers, and press on the quality of the prototypes , with thousands of visitors who stopped by to view and photograph the collections. This result is confirmed by over 1,000 ballots cast by the professional community visiting the fair.
The collections in competition were voted by a Panel of Experts, by the visitors at the fair and online by the consortium’s followers.
The panel of experts who formed the jury were:
- Antonella Bertagnin – Creative director and “Trend Selection” coordinator at Lineapelle, she is today considered to be one of the foremost and most trusted Italian trendsetters in the field of footwear and leather goods
- Ilenia Ghità – Junior Fashion Editor of COLLEZIONI. Distributed in over 54 countries, the Collezioni group is the undisputed leader in the fashion magazine sector, at the service of trade operators, opinion leaders and anyone with a passion for images and creativity.
- Marco Marchetti – Studio 44, design and product research studio
- Liza Snook – Shoe collector, founder of the Virtual Shoe Museum (the online museum – a renowned platform for shoe designers and shoe lovers) and curator of exhibitions and events all over the world. Besides the exhibitions, she scouts talent, helps designers to promote their work, judges at design colleges and works as image researcher for international publishers.
- Andrea Toni – Esteemed tanning technician with long experience, he manages ToniLab 25, research and high-end finishing laboratory for exotic leather.
- Sue Saunders – a doyenne of Footwear Education and Specialist Footwear Tutor
The five criteria for the Jury:
- Design inspired by qualities intrinsic to Veg-Tan Leather
- Innovative use of Veg-Tan Leather
- Excellent Aesthetics
- Story telling of the Collection/ Does the Collection engage?
The weighted average of the three ballots, in which the jury vote had a higher percentage than the popular votes, produced the following final ranking:
- Heleen Sintobin – Central Saint Martins
- Takumi Yoshida – Hiko Mizuno College of Jewelry
- Chantal Maes – SASK Sint Niklaas
The winner of the sixth edition of Craft the Leather is Heleen Sintobin from Central Saint Martins for her “The Tartufo Collection”.